A weblog could be difficult to get proper. There’s lots of info to show, and you might simply make your web site really feel cluttered, which negatively impacts your web site’s consumer expertise.
Having a poor UX in your web site comes with its personal set of drawbacks, too, like an elevated bounce fee and a drop in search engine rankings. In the meantime, since there’s a ton of blogs on the web right now, standing out from the gang is difficult sufficient as it’s.
However, there’s nonetheless lots of blogs on the market that get issues proper, and which means there’s loads of design examples that you would be able to comply with.
1. Smashing Journal
Smashing Magazine makes use of loads of whitespace to provide its web site some respiration room.
The above-the-fold part attracts consideration to its most up-to-date weblog publish, which is accompanied by a brief description of the publish’s contents. Smashing Journal retains the identical theme under the fold, the place it shows quite a few different weblog posts.
The web site goals to generate conversions by encouraging guests to join its e-newsletter. The headline and supporting copy on the appropriate summarize the e-newsletter’s contents and advantages. In the meantime, the CTA button itself is simple and strikes a great stability between attracting consideration and never being too obnoxious with its easy white background and pink font.
Right here’s what Smashing Journal does proper:
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests discover particular weblog posts.
- The whitespace above the fold makes the webpage really feel much less cluttered, stopping guests from feeling overwhelmed.
- The CTA highlights the contents and advantages of its e-newsletter instantly.
SitePoint makes use of a two-tone design to make a horny webpage that promotes its programs. The headline and supporting copy are descriptive and persuasive, whereas the CTA button stands out by means of contrasting colours.
The remainder of the webpage makes use of whitespace and locations its weblog within the heart to offer some respiration room. Once more, SitePoint signifies every weblog publish’s matter by means of color-coded labels, and the weblog titles are accompanied by brief descriptions.
Right here’s what SitePoint does proper:
- The 2-tone design serves a double function—it enhances the web site’s look and it promotes its programs.
- Weblog posts are accompanied by illustrations that allude to every publish’s matter and provides the web site a nice look.
- SitePoint declutters the web site through the use of whitespace each on the left and proper facet of the display screen.
Copyblogger takes a daring strategy to promotion with an above-the-fold part that focuses fully on its e-newsletter signup kind.
The lead magnet’s copy begins with a query to get guests engaged with a free providing, whereas the signup course of solely requires an electronic mail handle. This strategy is rooted in the concept the less steps prospects should undergo to transform, the extra conversions you’ll generate.
Right here’s what Copyblogger will get proper:
- The lead magnet copy is concise but partaking, whereas the inclusion of a single signup kind encourages conversions.
- Its headline immediately lets guests know the way they’ll profit from studying the weblog or signing up for its e-newsletter.
- The white and grey colour scheme offers the homepage a modern look.
4. Design Techniques
Design Systems consists of colourful geometric parts in its background to provide the homepage a enjoyable look. Its hero part shows a single publish, which eliminates the danger of overwhelming customers with too many choices and as an alternative highlights one vital piece of content material.
Nonetheless, the web site’s design strategy shines under the fold as properly. It consists of uncovered grid strains so as to add area and clearly distinguish between completely different posts. The design is very minimalist, however the shapes and colours add a splash of life.
The headlines are additionally straight to the purpose and accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the contents of every publish.
Right here’s what Design Techniques will get proper:
- The colourful shapes and minimalist design strike a stability between aesthetics and performance.
- Uncovered grid strains make the format really feel extra structured and enhance scannability.
- It gives nearly no distractions, thus bettering the chances of sustaining a customer’s full consideration.
5. The Moz Weblog
The Moz Blog doesn’t fiddle. Its headline merely states the weblog’s title, whereas the supporting copy lets guests know the way they’ll profit from it. After that, the web page jumps proper into posts.
The content material is break up into two symmetrical columns throughout the whole homepage. This prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed with too many choices. Every publish is accompanied by an illustration, headline, and supporting copy that summarizes the content material.
Right here’s what The Moz Weblog does proper:
- It features a dropdown menu so guests can simply filter content material by class.
- The illustrations are enjoyable and add a splash of colour to the web page.
- It alleviates alternative paralysis by solely together with two decisions per row.
6. HubSpot Weblog
HubSpot Blog resorts to minimalism to show a excessive variety of posts. The webpage makes use of imagery and weblog descriptions sparingly above the fold, whereas the fonts are sufficiently small to go away room for extra content material.
Regardless of the massive quantity of content material, HubSpot locations posts underneath particular subjects to reinforce the searching expertise. The web site makes use of mega menus and a search field to make navigation straightforward.
HubSpot primarily makes use of a white background so as to add to the web page’s simplicity and provides it extra respiration room. The web site attracts consideration to CTAs by giving the buttons a shiny orange colour, which is in stark distinction with the background.
Right here’s what HubSpot Weblog does proper:
- The web site consists of mega menus and a search field to assist guests simply discover exact info.
- It makes use of a minimalistic design so it might probably show numerous posts with out cluttering the display screen.
- It peppers CTAs all through the webpage and makes them stand out through contrasting colours.
7. Influencer Advertising Hub
Influencer Marketing Hub shows much less content material above the fold in comparison with HubSpot. This helps alleviate the results of resolution paralysis and nudges customers to click on on a number of choose posts. The web site additionally neatly organizes its content material by means of a grid-based format—every row shows three posts, assuring symmetry and a constant searching expertise.
The higher portion of the display screen goes straightforward on design parts to drive consideration towards the headline, which briefly summarizes the web site’s content material. That is very best for letting first-time guests know what to anticipate.
Right here’s what Influencer Advertising Hub does proper:
- Its headline is attention-grabbing and briefly states how the web site helps its guests.
- The enjoyable illustrations and pastel colours makes the web site enticing and straightforward on the eyes.
- The homepage consists of a number of kinds of posts, like case research, listicles, and how-to guides. This provides guests selection, making them extra more likely to discover the posts that attraction to them.
8. PPC Hero
In the identical vein, PPC Hero’s pastel colours result in a nice searching expertise. This time, nonetheless, this web site makes use of a hero part to drive full consideration to at least one particular weblog publish. Then, solely the CTA is positioned under and blends in properly with the remainder of the web page.
PPC Hero’s below-the-fold content material shows extra weblog posts, with only one weblog per row. This creates a clutter-free searching expertise and provides guests a simple approach to decide on the blogs they need to learn.
Every weblog publish is accompanied by a brief description and an illustration that gives extra context. Guests can bounce between a number of weblog classes through a drop-down menu positioned under the fold on the left-hand facet of the display screen—a extremely seen spot.
Right here’s what PPC Hero does proper:
- It consists of a number of navigation choices within the header part—a major menu, a secondary menu, a search field, and two clickable logos.
- The web site’s minimalist strategy doesn’t distract guests with too many choices, making them extra more likely to click on on a particular publish.
- There’s a e-newsletter CTA each above the fold and within the web page’s footer, making it extra more likely to drive conversions.
9. BBQ Hero
BBQ Hero wastes no time in explaining what its web site is about within the headline and header part of its webpage.
The hero part additionally promotes the location’s e-newsletter—it stands out by means of a white background and features a single kind area to compel customers into signing up. The copy is partaking and explains the e-newsletter’s advantages.
BBQ Hero divides its recipes into three columns, each devoted to particular grilling tools. This helps guests simply discover the recipes they’re in search of.
The homepage concludes with a quick presentation of the web site’s authors, which goals to ascertain a stronger reference to guests.
Right here’s what BBQ Hero does proper:
- The web page’s headline describes the weblog’s content material, whereas the background picture offers extra context.
- The e-newsletter promotion is minimal however extremely efficient. It grabs consideration, whereas its copy is persuasive and lets guests know precisely how they’ll profit from signing up.
- Its three-column format does a great job of differentiating content material for guests.
10. Funds Bytes
Budget Bytes focuses on mouth-watering imagery to attract consideration and supply extra context to every certainly one of its weblog posts. It additionally shows costs of every recipe underneath the publish titles, which gives readers essential info and stays true to the weblog’s title.
The navigation menu on the top-right is well-structured, with dropdown menus indicated by shiny yellow icons that add an additional layer of visible help.
The below-the-fold content material can be laid out properly—it divides recipes into numerous related classes, corresponding to dishes for the autumn or recipes underneath $10.
Right here’s what Funds Bytes does proper:
- The web site’s strategy to repeat is mild, well-structured, and emphasizes the usage of photographs. This makes the Funds Bytes weblog straightforward to scan and navigate.
- It features a social sharing button within the backside proper. This makes it straightforward for guests to share recipes with their pals, whereas the share counter acts as social proof.
- Navigation gadgets with dropdown menus are clearly indicated by shiny contrasting icons.
11. Inexperienced Automotive Reviews
The Green Car Reports weblog is minimalistic and environment friendly. Its high information part occupies the biggest portion of the display screen, making it straightforward to identify trending articles. In the meantime, it additionally locations its automobile overview part in a vertical carousel on the appropriate, which customers can browse through shiny inexperienced navigation arrows.
The weblog’s headlines don’t require any guesswork, as they’re extremely descriptive. The identical could be stated concerning the navigation menu, which has labels that immediately let customers know which pages they’ll go to as soon as they click on on them.
Right here’s what Inexperienced Automotive Reviews does proper:
- It highlights important design parts like CTAs and carousel navigation buttons in shiny inexperienced. This attracts consideration but additionally matches the environmentally pleasant theme.
- The online copy is simple, whereas the pictures present visible context and enhance the web site’s aesthetics.
- The carousels are signaled by the brilliant navigation buttons.
Treehugger embraces whitespace and makes it an integral a part of its design. It offers the webpage loads of respiration room and helps customers scan by means of content material with ease. The sunshine-blue touches additionally brighten up the web page and provides it a playful look.
Treehugger doesn’t go overboard with its design parts, particularly above the fold. It makes use of imagery to drive consideration to its most related article, whereas the most recent information part is positioned neatly on the appropriate.
Moreover, its navigation labels are additionally clear, whereas every menu merchandise accommodates its personal dropdown menu. That is excellent for together with a number of navigation choices with out cluttering the display screen.
Right here’s what Treehugger does proper:
- Relatively than specializing in the most recent releases, the homepage largely showcases well-liked posts throughout a number of classes. Some are emphasised by means of imagery.
- Though used sparingly, the light-blue touches considerably contribute to the web page’s nice design.
- The social buttons within the header additionally show the web page’s follower rely—which is a intelligent approach of including social proof.
13. Cup of Couple
Cup of Couple makes use of the highest portion of the display screen to showcase featured articles in a carousel format. This high positioning ensures that guests received’t miss out on them.
In the meantime, the web site additionally makes use of uncovered grid strains to arrange navigation menu gadgets and separate weblog posts.
Moreover, moderately than the standard white background, Cup of Couple selected a light-gray colour scheme. Coupled with the massive fonts and uncovered grids, the web site is simple on the eyes and extremely scannable.
Nonetheless, massive fonts can typically occupy an excessive amount of display screen area—particularly in content-heavy web sites. Cup of Couple offers with this by animating its longer headlines in a information ticker fashion. These animations play as soon as guests hover their mouse over a particular headline.
Right here’s what Cup of Couple does proper:
- The sunshine-gray background doesn’t pressure the eyes and provides off a calming ambiance.
- The uncovered grid strains make the online content material straightforward to scan and add to the web site’s aesthetics.
- The massive fonts improve readability and complement the remainder of the web site’s design.
14. Lovers Journal
Lovers Magazine makes use of the whole above-the-fold part of the homepage to showcase its newest interview.
The split-screen format additionally provides to the web site’s look and separates the headline and supporting copy from the picture. The copy introduces the interviewee, providing simply sufficient info to get guests to learn extra about it.
The web site’s imagery presents a private introduction to every interviewee, which provides additional context and improves the design’s aesthetics. The inclusion of human faces can be attention-grabbing and helps guests set up a stronger reference to the web site.
Right here’s what Lovers Journal does proper:
- The header blends in with the remainder of the homepage’s design, making it much less distracting.
- The above-the-fold picture serves a number of functions—it enhances aesthetics, grabs consideration, and offers additional context to the supporting copy.
- The web site’s minimalistic strategy retains the customer’s consideration on the interviews.
15. Say Sure
Say Yes follows an analogous format to Lovers Journal. Nonetheless, the split-screen format is symmetrical this time, placing a stability between copy and visuals.
The web site’s brand together with its tagline is the very first thing guests see—and that’s glorious for spreading the model’s message. The primary article’s headline and supporting copy additionally concentrate on describing the publish’s content material and invitations customers to learn extra.
Moreover, Say Sure shows much less content material under the fold to enhance scannability. The navigation menu is as simple as it might probably get—it consists of two menu gadgets and a search bar, whereas the principle subjects are positioned underneath a dropdown menu to declutter the display screen.
Right here’s what Say Sure does proper:
- The emphasis on imagery coupled with a white and mushy pink colour scheme offers the web page a nice, stress-free look.
- The emblem and tagline are positioned in a extremely seen spot, establishing a reference to guests as quickly as they land on the web page.
- It makes use of whitespace to declutter the display screen and focus consideration on particular person items of content material.
Equally, Adventure.com makes use of a lot of the above-the-fold part of the homepage to spotlight particular person weblog posts.
Nonetheless, the hero picture is now a part of the web site’s background, which additionally makes use of a carousel to show a number of posts. This provides guests extra selection with out having to scroll wherever. The carousel comes with a transparent progress bar and navigation arrows positioned on both facet of the display screen.
Once more, the web site’s minimalistic design retains customers targeted on the content material. The below-the-fold content material is properly structured, with posts divided into a number of classes to make the webpage simply scannable.
Right here’s what Journey.com does proper:
- Relatively than redirecting guests to a different web page, the e-newsletter signup permits customers to enter their contact particulars straight on the homepage.
- The hero picture carousel isn’t automated, which is much less distracting and permits customers to view the slides at their very own tempo.
- Every weblog’s headline is proven in full, whereas the accompanying photographs add visible context.
17. The Broke Backpacker
The Broke Backpacker attracts consideration to its e-book as quickly as guests land on the webpage. The headline and supporting copy are well-crafted—they’re persuasive and briefly describe the e-book’s advantages.
The CTA stands out by means of shiny colours, whereas its copy is descriptive and in excellent continuity with the headline—it invitations customers to learn the way they’ll journey the world for $10 per day.
The positioning familiarizes customers with what the web site is about proper under the fold, whereas the weblog posts are proven additional down. This helps guests set up a reference to the weblog and construct a bit of hype earlier than diving into the posts.
Right here’s what The Broke Backpacker does proper:
- Relatively than a generic “Signal-Up Now” CTA, its “Discover Out How” copy is extra inviting and works higher with the headline.
- Its navigation menu isn’t distracting, but it surely gives hyperlinks to pages guests might discover helpful.
- The web site takes the time essential to introduce itself to first-time guests.
18. Woman Gone Overseas
In distinction, Girl Gone Abroad introduces the weblog in just some phrases. The headline briefly states the blogger’s journey expertise, whereas the button above it’s simple and invitations guests to view the location’s weblog posts instantly.
The background video makes the web page really feel a bit of extra dynamic and conveys a calming ambiance.
Relatively than displaying quite a few weblog posts on the homepage, Woman Gone Overseas consists of navigation hyperlinks to pages devoted to particular continents under the fold—it’s handy and permits them to rapidly discover the posts they’re most fascinated by.
Right here’s what Woman Gone Overseas does proper:
- The web site is well-structured—it helps guests rapidly discover the content material they’re most fascinated by.
- The homepage consists of minimal design parts, bettering consumer expertise and loading instances.
- The headline/tagline is brief, catchy, and descriptive.
19. Airbnb Newsroom
The Airbnb Newsroom weblog is very minimalistic—it’s heavy on whitespace, utilizing photographs to offer extra context and play into the design’s aesthetics.
The above-the-fold part shows a single publish, driving consideration to an vital information piece. In the meantime, the headline is simple and the CTA button pops by means of contrasting colours. All of these items mixed entice the consumer to proceed onward.
The remainder of the homepage is break up into a number of classes, permitting customers to skim by means of content material with ease.
Right here’s what Airbnb Newsroom does proper:
- It makes use of whitespace as a strategy to embrace quite a few posts with out making the web page really feel cluttered.
- The hero part shows a single publish—this prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed by too many decisions.
- The homepage carousels don’t auto-play, making them much less distracting.
WIRED follows a newspaper-like format. Though considerably old-school, it’s efficient at displaying massive quantities of data whereas retaining the web page straightforward to scan.
The above-the-fold part is break up into three asymmetrical columns primarily based on significance—the center one takes up probably the most area, drawing consideration to a single information piece.
The asymmetrical theme is discovered all through the remainder of the web page however underneath a row-based format. This breaks continuity, making the web page much less tiring to have a look at. The rows are additionally break up by black strains, serving to customers distinguish between numerous information classes.
Right here’s what WIRED does proper:
- Its asymmetrical format breaks up the content material and establishes a visible hierarchy.
- Every article shows the headline in full and is accompanied by related photographs—serving to customers perceive the content material matter.
- The white-on-black textual content beneath the gridlines signifies the class of every column or row.
21. Display Rant
Screen Rant goes for a extra symmetrical strategy by making one particular headline piece the identical measurement as two smaller posts, whereas additionally positioning it on the left facet to draw extra consideration.
The web site’s navigation menu consists of clear labels, permitting customers to browse content material devoted to particular subjects.
Moreover, moderately than separating the headlines from the pictures, Display Rant merges the 2 to avoid wasting display screen area above the fold. Then, every below-the-fold headline is accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the publish’s contents.
Right here’s what Display Rant does proper:
- It saves display screen area above the fold by inserting headlines on photographs.
- The white background offers the web site extra respiration room, regardless of the massive quantity of content material.
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests simply discover particular articles.
Mashable highlights the principle headline by inserting it on a white background, establishing stark distinction to the remainder of the above-the-fold content material.
What’s attention-grabbing about Mashable’s design is that the hero picture is straight tied to the principle headline—you’ll be able to click on on the picture and also you’ll be directed to the weblog publish in query.
This is a superb approach to attract consideration to a particular piece of content material and concurrently declutter the display screen. The below-the-fold content material switches to a white background thereafter—thus making the web page straightforward to scan regardless of exhibiting extra content material. Once more, the navigation menu’s labels are clear, permitting guests to browse specific subjects.
Right here’s what Mashable does proper:
- Its design switches to a white background under the fold for higher scannability.
- Its search field within the top-right permits guests to search out specific content material with ease.
- The hero picture declutters the above-the-fold format.
23. Fast Sprout
You’re going to should forgive us for the cheeky pat on our personal again right here, however our knowledge makes us consider that we do a great job of displaying a number of weblog posts above the fold. We arrange posts with headers and color-coded labels to assist guests browse the homepage simply, and we additionally attempt to appeal to consideration to a featured publish with a hero picture.
We additionally promote our e-newsletter within the upper-left part of our webpage—which we really feel is an effective transfer since guests spend 80% of their time viewing the left a part of a webpage.
Right here’s what Fast Sprout does proper:
- It declutters the navigation menu by means of mega drop-down menus, indicating that navigation gadgets are half of a bigger menu by together with arrows subsequent to every merchandise.
- It offers a shortcut for conversions by permitting guests to enter their electronic mail addresses straight on the homepage.
- It makes use of color-coded labels to arrange its weblog posts and improve the searching UX.
Running a blog entails much more than simply arising with concepts, writing them, and formatting your content material correctly. You additionally should take your weblog’s design under consideration, as a result of if customers don’t have a great time studying it or a great expertise searching it, the content material will hardly matter.
For those who’re prepared to start out your personal weblog, the 23 examples above will hopefully set you on the appropriate path and encourage a great-looking design that works each for you and in your audiences.
Simply bear in mind—no person likes a cluttered web site, so whitespace is your pal.